This past week, I’ve been reading the book “Excuses Begone!” by Wayne Dyer. Wayne is one of my all-time favorite authors and speakers. He certainly tells it like it is without the sugar!
In Chapter 3, he shares 18 of the most commonly used excuses that people use to explain an unhappy existence. In reading them, those same excuses/reasons are used by people to explain why just about anything is “not working”, in business or in life. I thought I’d share them with you, in brief, to see if you have used any of these lately. I know that I have; and as of now, I’m done with them. Basta! That’s enough! (maybe I need a few more exclamation points behind that!!!!!!)
Here are the 18 excuses with a brief summary of the relevant sections directly from the book:
- It Will Be Difficult: Making something difficult in your mind before you even undertake the effort is an excuse. It is just as likely that it is going to be easy!
- It’s Going to Be Risky: (this is one I’ve used recently, entirely too often!) When you convince yourself that it’s your job to avoid taking chances, you can continue your familiar habits. Basta! (which is Italian for “that’s enough!”, just in case you needed to know that)
- It Will Take a Long Time: There’s absolutely no proof that anything will take a long time, since even the idea of “a long time” is an illusion — there is only now.
- There Will Be Family Drama: People often become stuck in their habituated modes of thinking because they fear the criticism that could result if they change.
- I Don’t Deserve It: You’re equally as deserving of all that this glorious world offers as anyone else is. Believing that you’re not good enough to have unlimited happiness, success, and health is a colossal fabrication that bears no resemblance to the truth of your life today.
- It’s Not My Nature: Nine-tenths of your nature has been learned and adopted as a habit. Your intrinsic self is well equipped to help you fulfill your unique destiny.
- I Can’t Afford It: Whenever you discourage yourself with thoughts that your financial situation is preventing anything from appearing, that’s an excuse. If you instead decide to bring abundance awareness into your consciousness, you’ll shift your thoughts.
- No One Will Help Me: The fact is that the world is filled with people who would jump at the chance to help you with whatever you’d like to create.
- It Has Never Happened Before: Convinced that your past is the reason why you can’t change, you hang on to it to excuse yourself from thinking differently.
- I’m Not Strong Enough: You possess all the fortitude of character, mind, and body to live at the highest levels of happiness, health, and prosperity.
- I’m Not Smart Enough: If you’re willing to put your passion and perseverance into your ideas, you’ll meet the genius part of you.
- I’m Too Old (or Not Old Enough): The age of your body can seem to be quite an obstacle. Identify yourself with the unlimited side of you that lives independent of the age of your body.
- The Rules Won’t Let Me: Many of these rules are simply shoulds which are designed to keep you from hearing a certain drumbeat. Listen to your own heart.
- It’s Too Big: Acknowledge that you can’t get the humongous things done today, but you can take that first step.
- I Don’t Have the Energy: Low energy is by and large not a problem of body chemistry — it’s a function of a long history of habituated thinking that needs excuses to stay the same. You can learn to practice more satisfying and vibrant thinking that will elevate your enthusiasm, and ultimately produce an energetic lifestyle filled with purpose.
- It’s My Personal Family History: Early experiences aren’t meant to be hidden behind when life isn’t working out the way you want it to — they aren’t reasons for staying stuck! Look at your family history as a blessing. Yes, a blessing! It’s precisely what you had to go through to arrive where you are today. Remember, your life is happening now, in the present moment.
- I’m Too Busy: This excuse easily topped the list. All of the activities of your life, including those that take up huge portions of your time, are simply the result of the choices you make. Begin to examine just how you prioritize your life. Change this pattern by never saying or implying that you’re too busy.
- I’m Too Scared: I believe that fear is a mind virus that insists you’re either a success or a failure, and it’s passed from one mind to another until it becomes a habit. Fearful thoughts are nothing more than excuses. Shift your mind from fear to love and be freed of the chains of habituated thinking.
How many of these excuses have you used, recently? Are you ready to move beyond them and begin living life at the highest levels of success, happiness and health?
Identify at least one of the above excuses that you have used, recently. Then, get a copy of Wayne’s book, “Excuses Begone” (see below), and work through his process to shift that excuse. Watch how your success, happiness and health benefit!
Here are a few of my favorite affirmations he suggests to counteract the excuses above:
- I feel passionately about my life, and this passion fills me with excitement and energy.
- I think only about what I can do now. By thinking small, I accomplish great things.
- I have the ability to accomplish any task I set my mind to with ease and comfort.
- Being myself involves no risks. It is my ultimate truth, and I live it fearlessly.